Has property been selected for the schools?
- Right now, only property for Liberty High School has been purchased. The property, located on Ruhamah Road, is a beautiful site. We are looking at a number of sites for the other schools, but no decision has been made. Our decision will be based not only on the property location but also on the cost of the property, the cost of improvements such as roads and access, and the cost of the site work.
- We are exploring the option of the best location for the new career and technology center.
What are the plans for the buildings and property at the existing Gettys Middle and Pickens Middle schools?
- The board has not made that decision. The potential for the property will be studied and a recommendation will be made to the board.
Will there be partity among the schools?
- Having parity is one of the main goals of this plan. Every school will have a media center, an auditorium, computer labs, fine arts facilities, athletic facilities including an auxiliary gym and practice fields.
Does the plan prepare the district for growth?
- The original estimates were based on a core capacity to accommodate the current school population plus 200 students. We are also looking at building the core based on this year's 45th-day enrollment plus an additional percentage. That decision will be made as we move into the design phase.
- We are closely monitoring growth in all areas. As the new schools are built, we anticipate additional growth to occur nearby and may need to add classrooms.
- Schools will be designed so that additional classrooms and/or wings can be easily added without the “add-on” look.
Will the renovations eliminate portables?
- Elimination of portables is one of the major goals of this plan. However, if the population increases more than projections indicate, we may have to use portables temporarily.
Will ALL of our schools benefit?
- Repairs and upgrades are planned for all schools, except those that will be demolished to make room for new schools. Information on the specific upgrades to individual schools will be available as we get further into the project.